Fiorentino is an ancient town built by the Byzantines in the eleventh century as a catapan defensive bulwark against incursions and raids. Along with other sites such as Troy and Dragonara Montecorvino, Fiorentino also became a bishopric. Abandoned in the late Middle Ages, it has become an important archaeological site, famous especially since 13 December 1250, when Emperor Frederick II of Swabia died at the age of 56. During a hunt, the emperor was seized with a violent evil: his serious condition did not allow him to return to the palace of Foggia and it was decided to hospitalize him in Castel Fiorentino, the nearest imperial residence. He had predicted he would die in a place whose name contains the word “flower” and it did. There where only ruins can be seen today, it seems that once there stood a village populated by an intense urban area, which extended to the walls. The most important buildings were undoubtedly the palace of Frederick II and the cathedral. To the main road, called “Magna auditorium,” was added a road less wide, known as the audience vicinalis, and numerous side streets. In Norman times, Fiorentino underwent a major urban expansion with the birth of a suburb to the east of that “Carunculum”.